“There is something wrong with you! You have no sense of urgency about time!” I was recently admonished while sitting in my chair reflecting upon Patricia Hampfl’s delightful book of essays entitled The Art of the Wasted Day. Don’t retire, accelerate advises Bracken Darrell, Head of Logitech, in a recent LinkedIn blog piece. Here are some of my previous thoughts about time: A canceled meeting! How best to make use of that unexpected 50 minutes—that gift of time. Maybe catch up on Profhacker blog pieces sitting on my RSS feed? Here are five of them:
- When the technology changes on you? Seems germane.
- Slowing down and learning about “deep listening”? I should also turn off my twitter feed that tempts me with messages from some of my favorite thought leaders. I am so easily distracted.
- Hints for teaching a large online course. I may try this when I leave Carroll.
- Making a WordPress Site Multi-lingual: Lately I’ve been exploring translation and language software.
- Exploring “gamification“: I’m still somewhat chary of moving in this direction, but intrigued by the creative writing/ gaming applications of English Professor Colleague BJ Best.
- The Time Traveler’s Almanac
- Deborah Harkness’s “All Souls Trilogy” (A Discovery of Witches, Shadow of Night, and the Book of Life).